Commenting on the rudimentary nature of electronics during his youth, Ken Olsen, a pioneer in the American computer industry in the 1950’s said, “When I was a teenager in the late 30’s and early 40’s, electronics wasn’t a word. You were interested in radio if you were interested in electronics.” This quote goes a long way to show how far the electronics industry has come since then if you simply look around the room you’re sitting in and observe the many electrical and electronic appliances and equipment that have become necessities in your life.
Technology has evolved in leaps and bounds and the market is strewn with electronic devices to complement your life at home, work, on holiday, at school, in times of illness, etc. The large scale manufacturing of electronic products has led to the growth and development of the service industry which installs, services, maintains and repairs those products. Companies hire field service technicians who go out to location of an electronic product in the case of first-time installations, servicing and repairs.
A future for electronic field service technicians
Increased dependency on electronics implies that the industry will require trained and highly skilled electronic field service technicians who will maintain and service their products once they have been sold. Anyone who has a flair for electronic repairs can easily enrol themselves in a vocational course that teaches electrical and electronics servicing. A sound knowledge of maths and science is also required.
What does a field service technician do?
- Field service technicians are required when customers request for their service in the case of repairs and servicing for bulky and heavy equipment. A technician knows how to carry out repairs and maintenance for a wide range of devices. Usually, most field service technicians have a specific area of expertise.
- An electronic tool kit for field service is an absolute necessity as it provides him or her with the tools to deal with the task at hand. The electronic tool kit is an extensive set of electronic and mechanical tools that are necessary for on-site work.
- A good technician will usually have a fair idea of what is wrong based on the service request so he always carries the necessary equipment.
- In cases of failure during field service, the technician normally takes the damaged part back to his office to conduct further tests.
- There is usually a stipulated period of time within which he has to complete a repair and return the part. Sometimes complete replacement of the part in question is required in the case of extensive damage.
Tool kits for field service
A comprehensive electronic tool kit for field service is indispensable to the work of a technician. They are specifically designed for the nature of the work in mind and must be of the highest quality. There are various manufacturers of electronic tool kits whose products are available in electronics stores and online. There are options to purchase customised electronic tool kits as well.